The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of over 350 million. As part of the historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: Ba/Bsc/HND
- Location: Lagos And Abuja
- Job Field: Media/Advertising/Branding
Division: BBC World Service
Reports to: Pidgin Editor
Working pattern: Continuing Contract
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
The BBC World Service is embarking on an exciting journey with unprecedented investment in digital content for Africa and your role will be critical to us in meeting our ambitions.
At the BBC, we believe our mission is to enlighten and connect the audience from Africa to the global world. BBC Pidgin digital service aims to deliver our journalism in a lively and engaging fashion, with a focus on interactivity and the promotion of content on social media and across all platforms. As one of our video journalist you’ll have a crucial role in leading our engagement with the audience. By joining BBC Pidgin, you’ll be a part of the new team including Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo, who will serve our audience in Nigeria and West Africa. They will be based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audience.
You’re creative and versatile journalist, with a strong understanding of what makes good digital video and how video is consumed on digital platforms. We’re looking for producer who is passionate evangelist about digital storytelling. As the digital landscape is changing you would need to be as nimble as the technologies.
You will need sound editorial judgement, understanding Africa news agenda, ability to tell complex stories in an engaging way, sharp editing skills and the ability respond to breaking news. You will be adept with technology, quickly pick up new skills and turn ideas into engaging storytelling. All candidates will be expected to demonstrate a clear understanding of digital platforms as well as video editing skills.
- To create optimized content including social media posts, reports, compilations, interviews, discussions, features video, photos, info-graphics and other editorial content for social media networks and on all BBC Pidgin platforms.
- To ensure that any output material for which the post holder is responsible meets the standards required by the BBC
- Work with other members of the Pidgin and Nigeria team, and the wider BBC Africa newsroom, to identify and produce creative and innovative video news content.
- To originate innovative formats for BBC Pidgin social media posts best suited for each social network, including Facebook and Instagram and optimize these formats using social analytics.
- Re-version BBC material with a mobile audience in mind.
- To create multimedia content for publication on social media and the BBC Pidgin mobile audiences, as appropriate and to the required specification whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and adhering to the BBC’s Editorial guidelines.
- Research, storyboard and produce stories.
- Create headlines and video teasers to promote our stories and reach to a wider audience.
- Contribute ideas and angles for framing headlines on the main news of the day.
- To use visual creativity like pictures and graphics in illustrating and explaining fast-moving events and complex stories.
- You may be required to travel off base on short reporting trips and assignments.
- To experiment with emerging tools and platforms.
- Working to short deadlines for breaking and developing stories.
- All staff may be required to work with or move to other teams, and to have the ability to work across a range of skills and in a flexible manner, and to carry out these responsibilities in accordance with the BBC’s overall standards and values.
- The job holder will be expected to work and think collaboratively at all times – both within World Service and across the wider BBC.
Requirements, Skills & Experience
- A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Pidgin
- Experience of video production, editing and storytelling.
- Experience of using video editing software similar to Q-edit or FCPX.
- In depth understanding of digital and social platforms – the BBC’s and others – and the different ways audiences are consuming news in Africa
- A strong journalistic track record with knowledge of Africa and African affairs.
- Experience in social-first content production and audience engagement.
- Ability to work well with other producers, reporters and teams.
- Wide and up to date familiarity with the area/s to which the Service broadcasts including Africa , Nigeria and West African affairs and an in-depth understanding of the area/s history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience. An extensive knowledge of the media situation in the target area and the way it is developing.
- Proven editorial judgment and flair, able to make sound decisions quickly.
- Knowledge of the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and commitment to the editorial aims of BBC News.
- Must be able to work well and calmly in a live newsroom environment; handle a rapidly changing news agenda, and have the temperament to enjoy the process.
- Must be able to demonstrate sense of visual awareness as well as technical aptitude.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety policies and practices.